Life

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Inexpensive remakes


I love making something new out of something used or old. I love shopping at Goodwill and seeing bargains I can find. My granddaughter Morgyn is going to go to college this coming fall for nursing. She bought herself a laptop for school and wanted some sort of carrying case for it. She wanted me to make her something so off to goodwill to see what we could find. She found a bedskirt with a flower ruffle on it that she really liked. And for $2 couldn't pass it up, so in the cart it went. I thought about how I was going to make this so it would be sturdy enough for her to carry to school. I measured and made a pattern from an ad that was in the newspaper. I made an extra pocket inside that she can carry the cords also for the laptop. I wanted the straps to be strong enough to not come apart and be able to hold the weight. I made 4 thicknesses thick and made them go all the way around from top to bottom and back up again. It really turned out nice and basically for less the $2 worth of material. I have lots left so will have to come up with another project to use it.

I was going through some of my craft/sewing stuff after I had finished with the bag and found some material that I have no clue as to where it came from or how long I have had it. But it was bright and springy so I made a skirt out of it for church the next day. It was just a basic A line skirt with an elastic waist. So no fuss no muss. I like it and it is very comfortable.

After I had finished with the bag and skirt on Sat I put all my sewing stuff away and sat down to the comp and was looking through some blogs. I found this cute fabric flower that someone had made and attached it to a shirt. I thought well why not make one to wear with my new skirt and just put a pin back on it. So at 1a I got some of my sewing stuff out and cut this easy flower out and finished it and wore it to church Sunday morning along with my new skirt. So in my way of thinking, I basically made a skirt and matching flower pin for $0, which is OK in my book. I think I see some more of these flowers in my future to wear with a lot of things and might even make some out of lace.

My mind is working overtime on things to make these days. I enjoy it, so while I am in the crafting/sewing mood I need to make as much as I can.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and according to the weather man we are suppose to see high 70's over the weekend. I am so hoping they are right. I need some sunshine and warm weather.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Your Projects..The skirt and matching flower for a shirt are sooo cute:)
~~HUGS~~

Indianalori said...

Love it! Great job...you have such an eye for detail!