Life

Monday, July 18, 2011

Book Storage craft project

With the weather suppose to be really hot this week, I don't plan on doing much outside. Last week I was sick, (I still am but at least I can function) and I didn't do much but sit and rest. So I spent time on the internet looking for some new craft ideas. I found quite a few that I have saved and want to make. Here is the first one I did this week.
My great granddaughter Randi loves to look at books and I have no problem indulging her in this love. I love to read also, so if I can instill this into her from an early age I am all for it. I have bought some books at the store, I have some books from when her mother and my children were little. I have also picked up some at garage sales and goodwill. Well they are starting to get out of hand in a place to keep them. I started with just keeping them on the extra end table that Randi seems to think is hers. That was fine but now it seems we have to many books to really keep there now. I found this neat and inexpensive storage unit to make. It is made from record album covers. So off to Goodwill I went. I decided I would use childrens albums and I found a few. They were only .25 and I needed 5. Plus I got 20% off my purchases that day so these turned out to be only .20 so works for me.On the website I found this storage, the woman said she used a drill to put the holes in the covers. Well this turned out to be a challenge for me. My daughter Angela helped me with it. It's not as easy as it sounds, but she managed to get it done for me.
Although I think if I make another one, I am going to try a different method of making the holes. The hole punch I had was not strong or sharp enough so I will have to think about finding something else. Anyway, after she got the holes in the covers I proceeded to put them together using some ribbon I had on hand. The one I saw, the woman had used jute, but I was using what I had on hand. I didn't get a picture of my threading the ribbon through the holes but thats ok. I was going to try and do a continuous weave of the ribbon around the bottom but that didn't quite work out the way I had planned as it was difficult to hold the pieces together so I could weave the ribbon in the holes. I ended up just going one side at a time and it seemed to work out fine.
It's not perfect but thats fine. It will work for the intended purpose. I think also if I make another one, I will find album covers that are a little more sturdy. I think it might work out better. But it was fun and you learn from trial and error.


I think Randi will love it. And I am sure I will find more then books in there from time to time. It was a quick, inexpensive and for the most part easy project to do. You could put whatever you want into these storage boxes. You could use whatever type of album covers you wanted, your imagination can run wild with this. I am thinking I might add some ribbon handles on this so it will be easier to move around as I am sure that is going to happen.

I hope you enjoyed this craft and give it a try. I am looking forward to my next project tomorrow. It's between butterflies or fused plastic. Hmmm wonder what I will do?

Let your imagination run wild and have fun. I know I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw photo's when you posted on face book..this project is really cute!
~~HUGS~~
let me know when you start taking orders for the projects:)