Life

Thursday, August 23, 2012

FIREWORKS



I love fireworks, I love going to watch the fireworks, I love to look at pictures of fireworks. Must just be the kid in me. Fireworks is something that brings back wonderful memories of my childhood when every 4th of July my father's side of the family would get together for a family reunion of sorts. My father side of the family is big. There were 8 children in the family and of course then came the spouses then the children. I have 27 cousins.  Needless to say between the siblings, spouses, children, siblings cousins etc there would easily be 150-200 people in my uncles backyard. Lots of good food and family to round out the day. BUT the thing that all of us looked forward to was watching the fireworks at night from the comfort of my uncles backyard. They didn't live that far away from the fairgrounds where they shot off the fireworks so we had a very good view and didn't have to "fight the traffic" (parents words not mine).  Lots of oohhs and aaahhhs from all of us. 



Over the years I have seen many fireworks on various occasions and have loved every minute of it.  A week or so ago in our town we hosted a fireworks convention PGI (Pyrotechnics Guild International).  I thought cool would see a few fireworks as they were putting on shows a few times during the week. I didn't know what to expect but honestly didn't care because I was going to watch.  Now we were warned as a town that these would be nothing like our local fireworks on the 4th, they would be bigger and louder and for people living near the fairgrounds this could prove to be interesting.  They suggested that if you live nearby and had animals you might want to board them for the week. The county even moved all the animals at the local animal shelter out of town for the week because of the stress we were told it could cause the animals and the animal shelter is located on the same property as the fairgrounds so this was a good idea. 

All this talk really got me excited to see exactly what they had in mind to show us.  Let me tell you I was not disappointed.  These "little" shows they were putting on were amazing. They were bigger, stronger, brighter and louder then any I have ever heard in my life.  My great granddaughter and I went every night to watch them from a parking lot not far from the fairgrounds. Actually if you could see the sky from any where in town you could see fireworks.  From what I have heard you could see some of them 12 miles away in the neighboring city.



The Grand Finale was held Friday night and my cousin and I went out to sit with my sister at her friends tomato farm which was just on the outskirts of the fairgrounds. We could see everything and we had such a nice cool evening to sit outside and enjoy the show.  From what I hear their were over 10,000 people actually at the fairgrounds watching the show and that number doesn't even count the people sitting in various places around town.  But seeing the number of cars in the parking lot at the fairgrounds I can only imagine and I actually am glad I wasn't sitting in the fairgrounds.

This video is about 28 min long and was just a glimpse into one of the shows that was put on that night. This is truly amazing and actually doesn't do it justice after seeing it in person but does give you an idea of what we saw.  If you have the time it is well worth watching.  Turn up your volume as there is some wonderful music that goes right along with the fireworks.  I don't think you will be disappointed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuN58qGSNM&feature=share

If you ever get a chance to see anything this company puts on anywhere close to where you can go see, trust me its worth going to see.  They will be back in 2016 for another weeks convention and I will be right there watching every minute God willing.   

No comments: