Life

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday afternoon project

I picked up this chair at one of my GW shopping trips.


My granddaughter thought I was nuts because she said it was UGLY. Well it wasn't exactly pretty but it was comfortable, lightweight so that I would be able to move it around as needed, I knew that I could recover it and the price was one I couldn't pass up. The chair cost me a total of $2.75. I bought it and brought it home. I didn't have any material yet to recover it but I would keep looking and in the meantime I sat it in my living room and covered it with a fleece blanket that I had, it would do until I could change it. On another of my GW shopping trips I found some material that I liked. Well actually I found 4 pieces of material that I liked and there was enough of each to cover the chair and they cost me a whole whopping $.70 each. There was at least 4 yds on each piece of material I found. So now to get on to the change.

I went to my mothers this afternoon and she helped me recover this chair. It was hard to decide which material to use. When opening up one of the pieces of material completely I found that I couldn't use it to cover the chair as it had a border on one side which wouldn't work for what I needed done. So I gave that piece to my mother as she said it would make a nice pair of curtains for the back bedroom. Can't wait to see when she gets those done. Anyway now onto the project at hand.

It took us about 3hrs total to recover the chair. Took us about 30 min to take out 6 screws. And of course you know 1 had to give us issues. It was stripped and was a bear to get out, but we finally did. Then of course the material I decided to use was the stripe material so that had to be matched up. We did a good job in matching the back to seat and trust me that took some doing because it seemed every time we thought we had it lined up it would move when we started stapling it on the back. But we got it done and I love the chair. I don't think its to bad for something that was less then $4. Now just need to get the rest of my projects done and then I will be set.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again your crafting skills put to good use...Another comfy chair for your home...:)

Indianalori said...

Beautiful fabric! Well done!