Life

Friday, March 23, 2007

The best for last??

Whoever said "Save the best for last" was sure as heck not talking about having bloodwork done. I had the last of my preliminary testing done this morning. I had all my lab work done. Which was bloodwork. First of all you play the hurry up and wait game. Then you get in and you see all the vials that they want to fill for each test. WOW I didn't think they could take that much out of me and still have some left. Well for one I don't do well with this type of testing anyway. It does not bother me to see the sight of blood, no I have the trouble of getting light headed and feel like passing out. Well yep got both of those plus the sick to the stomach thing. I had to be stuck 3 different time. First time vein collapsed after only 2 1/2 vials about the size of my middle finger. No pun intended. So had to be stuck again. The nurse tried it on top of my hand because I had a good vein she said. Well that one didn't work, she kept trying and only succeeded in blowing the vein so I had a huge bubble on top of my hand. By this time I informed the nurse I was getting hot, sick to my stomach and all around not feeling right. She quickly got me some water, a cold wash cloth and called another nurse in just as I was starting to slip from the chair. I didn't completly pass out, but came very close. I kept the cold cloth on my head while the new nurse found a new vein on my other arm. This one worked and it went quickly. She filled the other 7 vials in a very short time. So must have been a very good vein. And actually that is the only spot that didn't bruise on me. My right arm looks like I have been in a fight. Top of my hand is still swollen.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. These things happen, but I can honestly say I am glad that this part is all over. Went to my last class yesterday. We discussed more in depth of what to expect in the hospital after surgery and the days following. What things we need to buy at the store ahead of time so they are there when we get home. I have my list started of what I want and need to buy. I still need to clean out my cupboards and throw some things away and give some things to my daughter to have at her house. I will probably go from 4 shelves of groceries in the pantry down to maybe one shelf. But hey look at all the storage room I am going to gain. I can deal with that. Maybe get my life and kitchen more organized during the process. So all in all a good thing.

I almost feel like the countdown is beginning. Which I am looking forward to. I am not a very patient person when it comes to things dealing with myself. I know there are a lot of things that need to be done before surgery so if anything I am learning patience. I go to the doctor next wed the 28th so I hopefully will have a surgery date by time I leave his office. I am excited and not necessarily looking forward to surgery, but the end result will be a whole new ME.

1 comment:

Deana said...

Ethel
I'm very Proud of you!
The thought of "your dreams " coming true
Well that brings tears to my eyes, your already a wonderful person!
your friend
Lucy