Life

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nostalga



Not sure why but the last couple of days I have been thinking about my childhood. I have been remembering all the good times we had as kids. All the fun things we had to do long long before all the electronic things kids have today. We made our own fun, used our minds and what we had from our surroundings. We went visiting family and friends, drives on Sunday afternoons, playing games or putting a puzzle together or layed in the grass and looked at the clouds and tried to figure out what shapes the clouds made. While growing up I swear every time someone sneezed my fathers side of the family got together for some reason or another. We had picnics every 4th of July and still do till this day, we got together around Christmas and Santa even came and brought all of us kids presents, got together on New Years Eve to celebrate my grandparents anniversary and my grandfather would shoot off his rifle. Grandma & Grandpa K's house had lots and lots of property for all us kids to run to our hearts content. There were anywhere from 5-20 grandkids running around. I believe there were 24 of us total. There was this big white chair that sat in the side yard and we all would fight over who would sit in it. But we all got a turn. My dad and my uncles would set up a table and play cards outside during the warm weather. There was a shed that had a faucet on it that we had to use to get a drink of water and we all used the same glass that was kept on the little shelf. No one ever got sick from drinking after each other. I can remember my grandmother setting any number of us around the kitchen table and teaching us how to crochet. When you sat beside grandpa at meal time you had better keep an eye on your food because if you looked away he would slip some horseradish in your food. UGH LOL but we all loved sitting next to him. Oh to get those days back. To show my children and grandchildren what it was like. The memories are forever etched in my mind.




One picture is of the chair with my mother sitting in front of it on the blanket and my brother, not sure who the baby is. The other picture is a side view of the chair and you can see the card game going on. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wonderful post my friend, loved reading about your family