Life

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

It's been awhile since I have been on here to post anything. I have been busy taking care of my great granddaughter Randi and also my grandson Noah. I have a lot of things to be grateful for and those two grands are top on the list. I have been able to spend time with family a lot in the last weeks or so. We have been having some fun. I also have been able to spend time with some friends and that has also been fun. We have gone to the movies, went to an outdoor jazz concert, went to the park, had a picnic and many other things. I am very happy and grateful for these wonderful memories I have now.

I am also grateful for a friend of mine, Andrea, who's son underwent surgery this morning in getting a new heart. Aaron is 18yr old and was born with some heart problems and they have plagued him through his life. His parent's were told that he eventually would need to have a heart transplant. This past year has been bad on him with so many health issues. They were in and out of Riley's Childrens hospital so many times. In the last 2 months it seemed like they were there more times then they were home in Terre Haute. They got a call last night around midnight or so that they needed to head to the hospital. They live about a little over an hour or so away, so off they headed. As soon as they got to the hospital he was taken to surgery. Surgery lasted about 12hrs. But his mother called and said he came through surgery great and the doctor said he was doing great and the outlook was very good. I am so happy for Aaron and his family. But there is the other side to this good news...in order for Aaron to get a new heart...someone else had to die and those family members had to in their grief make the decision to donate the organs. They made the ultimate sacrifice and I can only imagine what they are going through. I am praying for both families.

I also have been busy doing some crafts, gee didn't see that coming did you??? LOL I also have been scouring the internet, magazines and my mind looking for different things to do for my grands, my primary class at church and the little boy I am going to start babysitting for. Trying to find simple things to do with children from age 18mo -4yrs old has been challenging but I think I have a start. I have been saving a lot of things on Pinterest, which I recently signed up for and am having a ball with. So many things, so little time lol

I saw these balls made from Birthday cards and thought they were cute. In the picture I saw they had all different sizes of the balls and they had them hanging from the ceiling over a crib. So I got out my card stock and tried my hand at it. It was fun, and lots of possibilities. I only made one just to see if I could and now I just have to start saving my cards from different things so that I gain a stash. Might even look at the dollar stores for the boxed ones. See what I can come up with.I have been trying to think of something to use on my cupboards so that when I am baking/cooking I can post the recipe on the cupboard doors so that it is easier to see. I didn't want to tape anything to them because that makes a mess in my opinion. Then I had one of those DUH moments when Randi was putting magnets on my frig and washer. I could use a cookie sheet or metal tray, cover it and then mount it on my cupboard doors with those Command strips that are removable. I found a tray at goodwill that was pretty beat up but I didn't care because I was not leaving it the way it was. It was .50 so couldn't beat that. I painted it black and then used some of my scrapbooking paper to jazz it up.I sanded the tray a little to get the shine off of it and take care of the few rough spots it had on it. I then painted it with a couple coats of some craft paint I had on hand. I let it dry overnight then this morning I picked out my paper I wanted to use and got out my Mod Podge and adhered it to the tray and then gave the whole tray a coat of the Mod Podge. I thought I had some sealer in my craft stash but I don't so I still have to get some, but that can be added later. I also thought I had a couple of the Command hooks in the drawer but alas no, so that is also on my list to get at the store. I glued a couple of pop can tabs to the back of the tray so that it can hang on the hooks once I get them. I am excited about this recipe holder. In this picture you can see my hand :) because it is not actually hung on my cupboards yet, but I wanted to show you what it would look like. Of course I will center it better on the doors when I actually hang it, but you get the idea. I think I might make some of those clear marble magnets I have been seeing on the internet to use on here. HMMM

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and stays safe. Spend time with your family and friends as much as you can. Make lots of memories.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend, I love your tray idea..you could also try magnets and use it on fridge if that is close to spot you would be cooking/mixing ingredients..
I also LOVE the fact you get to spend time with those Grand-babies!
thanks for stopping by and sharing
~~Peace & Love~~
Blessings

Indianalori said...

That tray is gorgeous!

Decor To Adore said...

Those birthday card balls are adorable! Blessings to Aaron for a quick recovery.