Life

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Butterflies

Today I tried a new craft. I saw this on a website a while ago but can't remember where exactly. Anyway I did remember for the most part how to make these butterflies from paper towels and food coloring. I wanted to make some so that I could suspend them from the ceiling in my classroom at church for my Primary class. These kids are 3-4 yr old so I figured they would enjoy this and its nothing fancy but I didn't think they would mind.It was easy, a little messy and will remember to use some rubber gloves on my hands if I do this next time. The tips of my fingers are a little discolored from the food coloring but that will wear off no problem. I also wasn't sure how much food dye to use so I guess-stimated. I didn't use that much but I think I will use more if I do this again. Make the colors a little more bold so when paper towel dries it will be a little more brighter. Mine are more pastel in color which is just fine.You use one sheet of white paper towel for each butterfly. Fold it in half 4 times. I used some paper towels from the dollar store which are fine, but I think if I do this again I will use a more stiffer paper towel. I am not sure but I think it would make the wings a little more stiffer and I think the color would be brighter. But the ones I used worked out fine. Just a mental note to myself for next time.

Dip each corner into whatever color or colors you want. Just dip because it will absorb quick. I did a variety of combinations. You can do this step however you want. After you get your paper towel folded then open it up and lay it flat on a covered surface. I just laid newspaper in my yard and laid it on there. It worked out fine. Didn't take long for them to dry in this heat we are having.

After they are dry, fold them up somewhat like accordion style and put a pipe cleaner around it. Flatten out the wings and twirl the antennae however you want.


The pictures didn't turn out the way I was hoping but you get the idea. I will be hanging these tomorrow night in the classroom. I can't wait to see what the kids think.

Have a few more projects in mind for this week. Things I can do in my home where it is cool. We are under a heat advisory for the next few days. So staying in as much as I can.

Enjoy yourself and have a wonderful day.

No comments: