Life

Monday, January 26, 2009

Quilting

I had decided that this year I was going to learn how to quilt and hopefully make my family a quilt for Christmas. I am still working on getting this started. But the other day as I was driving home from work I remembered that many many years ago I had gone to Relief Society Homemaking Night at church and one of the ladies taught us how to make a Cathedral Window Quilt. I kept thinking about that and tried to remember on how to make this. While sleeping that morning I dreamt about this. When I woke up it was still vividly on my mind. So I googled it to see if I could find the pattern to see if I indeed did remember how to do this. I found a couple tutorials and yes it did turn out that I did remember how. I already had the muslin and some print fabric scraps so...I decided I didn't have enough to actually make myself a big quilt but I indeed did have enough to make a runner to use on my hutch, table or on top of my piano. So I got to work and cut the material out and got things all situated and I took it to work with me. It's so nice to be able to do these things at work inbetween my responsibilities and it sure makes the night go faster and I am able to stay awake. I have the 6 big squares put together and now just have to join them into the runner and then finish them off. This really is an easy and quick portable project. Here is a pic of one of the big squares, which is made up of 4 small squares.

I also wanted to make a new bag to carry my scriptures in. I have the large print ones and I really needed a bigger bag. I wanted to make it out of wool and then embroider on the front. I found a wool skirt for $1 at Goodwill and knew that would work out great. The skirt was lined so I lucked out as to not have to find anything to line the bag with. I cut the pieces out and now just have to sew it all together. Here is the front of the bag.




I will post again when I finish both of these projects. Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ethel,
Your projects are amazing!
You'll have to share, PLEASE, the quilt!
PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE,
HAVE I BEGGED ENOUGH?
lol
LOVE YA
LUCY