Life

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Projects I have finished at work

As I have said before I am able to take most of my craft projects to work with me since I work the midnight shift. Need something to keep me busy, awake and make the night go by quicker. I work in a juvenile detention center with 10-17yr olds. On the midnight shift you spend 99% of your time in this little room working the control board, watching monitors of the center, laundry and bedchecks. During the midnight shift there are normally just 6 of us in the building. Myself and my co-worker on secure and the 2 on each the girls and boys unit. Here are a couple pictures of the control room, monitors and the control panel which is what we use to open all the locked doors. Pretty much no one goes anywhere in the building without the control room unlocking the door for you. It can be a little intimidating for new people when they get between doors and they lock behind you. Working where I work is not for everyone. I happen to love working there. Yes there are days but for the most part I do love it.
The picture of the monitors was taken during one of the days while the residents were in the classroom. They are all in bed and hopefully sleeping by time I get there.








Now onto to what I have been working on. I like to do cross stitch and I found these type of pins a while back and have been making different ones over the years. I don't have many because I usually end up giving them away when someone says they like it. I don't mind because I enjoy making them. These pins I am keeping except for the birdhouse one. That is one of the things I made for my mother for her birthday the end of the month. I still have more things to make for her. If I could just sit down without interruptions I can finish one pin in about 3hrs but at work between doing my job and any thing else that might come up it takes me about 7hrs. They are made on perforated paper. There is no finishing the edges. You just cut as close to the design as you can without cutting into the threads. I always glue on some felt to the back to finish it off and seal in all the threads so nothing comes undone. These kits cost around 5 at the local craft store. It comes with all you need plus extra. So more than enough.








Remember making flowers out of Kleenex when you were a kid? Well I make them out of tissue paper now and they turn out so cute. I have made them for different centerpieces and have always gotten many compliments. Its a cute but inexpensive way of decorating. I am planning on making some later this afternoon from some Valentine tissue paper I have. I just keep recycling the vase for each holiday. A couple years ago I made about 1500 flowers to put along the edge of a tent and table for our Luau picnic we had one summer for work. I also used brown paper grocery bags and cut them open flat and cut them up in strips almost to the top to look like grass skirts and then added the flowers to the tops. It really turned out wonderful. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this because I lost them when my old computer crashed UGH! I will be taking pictures of the Valentine flowers when I finish them up.
I hope you all have a wonderful day and thank you for looking at a small corner of my world. Keep crafting and I know I have found by keeping my hands busy I am not keeping my hands busy putting food in my mouth which is a good thing. LOL
Have a wonderful day and stay safe.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I totally get needing something to do because I'm the same way!

Very nice! Looks like you have accomplished quite a bit.

My BIL and a few others that I know work at the State Penitentiary. I can't imagine being locked in there for 8 hours with...no way...

Leslie

Neabear said...

Came over from Leslie's blog. I really like your little pins. They are so cute. I did my fieldwork in a state prison when I was in school for Occupational Therapy. I enjoyed reading through a couple of your posts. You and I are about the same age. I graduated from high school in 1975.